Art and Society
Museum Review #1
Daniel F. Ambia
03/30/2014
The second piece I chose was a bronze sculpture entitled, “Development
of a Bottle in Space”, by Umberto Boccioni, 1913. The sculpture is
monochromatic and made entirely out of bronze. It appears to be the
construction of a bottle as if something out of a science fiction movie with
bronze twisting upward from a platform toward the final form. It is as if the
bottle was being created out of clay and something, or someone, was slowly
piecing it together. It is most certainly an abstract piece because I was able
to make out the essence of the bottle but not as a reflection. The texture
appears to be smooth. For a sculpture made in 1913 I can say that Boccioni was pretty
ahead of his time. Boccioni was considered a “Futurist” for his approach to the
“deconstruction of solid mass”. This sculpture stood out because it was a
different way of representing an object commonly used in still life
paintings/sculpture. After swimming through a sea of realistic historical
sculptures, I would have to say this was by far my favorite of the day.
The two pieces I chose have obvious differences, one is a
painting and the other is a sculpture. One is an abstraction of an object while
the other is a representational painting of a man in an office. Hooper is an
American realist painter while Boccioni is an Italian sculptor and impressionist
painter. I was able to find some aesthetic similarities between the two from my
own personal experiences of the work. While Boccioni deconstructs the physical
form of the bottle, Hopper metaphorically deconstructs our perception of City
Life. Away from the bustle of the streets below, the solo figure in the
painting appears to be contemplative and isolated. It is a moment captured of
the development of a man as he works and grows and his world perhaps becomes a
bit smaller. The sculpture and the painting both made me stop in my tracks and
spend a few minutes to digest the work presented before me.
No comments:
Post a Comment