![]() |
| The Accommodations of Desire |
| Christ's Descent into Hell |
The
first piece of art I choose was almost instantaneous; I was completely drawn to
this oil painting. The Accommodations of
Desire painted by Salvador Dali was completed in 1929 and it has this
haunting look to it. Salvador Dali incorporates several dark tone colors such
as a dark red, mustard yellow, and brown color. In the painting we see these
white boulders that each contain some sort of illustration or activity. The
painting feels violent because the expressions of the lions. The red color
creates an even darker effect, as the red is used on one of the boulders as an
outline for the lion head. We also see the use of negative space as Dali
positions the fur of the lion head with the face of the lion completely
missing. The shape of the men and the lions has a dissolving affect. The lines
used to outline the men and the animals are wobbly and different to what many
are accustom to seeing. I would definitely categorize this painting as abstract
because although you can identify certain aspects of the panting, Dali plays
with the “real” changing the outline of the men and playing with the head of a
lion. I find it difficult to identify what exactly is going on in the painting.
I see lions all over the canvas and I see men covering their face, it could be
a giant metaphor for frustration that Dali was feeling.
The second piece I chose is titled Christ’s descent into Hell. Hieronymus Bosch painted this oil
painting, 1550-60. The painting depicts a city burning as though from
punishment. The color in this painting appears to be analogous and dark toned.
Bosch uses dark red, yellows and brown to cover the canvas. The piece is a
landscape but you can still make out people on the fiery ground and collapsed
buildings. There is a lot going on in this painting but from what you can see,
this is definitely hell. In the center of the canvas there appears to be people
running to the top of the cliff with their hands held up as if they are begging
to be saved. There are also bodies laying dead on the ground as well the bones
of animals that I am not familiar with. At the distance you can see the smooth
use of the paintbrush and how Bosch beautifully paints the smoky mountains. I
would say that this piece is non-presentational because it is a depiction of
hell and we as people have experienced hell but have ideas of this fiery place
where death fills the air.
These two paintings are similar in that they both have a
dismal feel to them, both artist use similar colors as well to express a darker
meaning. The obvious similarity is that they are both oil painting. I was
immediately drawn to the emotion provoked by both paintings, the colors used
set me off in a deep mood that is hard to shake as I continue to look at these
paintings. They both differ in that they depict two completely different things.
The first painting by Dali depicts frustration that will lead to doom and the
second painting is the doom. However since Christ is in the title I can’t help
to shake the feeling that Bosch painted it with a bit of hope that some people from
Hell could be saved. Of course that is open to interpretation.
Both
these paintings relate to two reasons why I think artist do what they do. They
clearly construct meaningful images and forms but also give feelings to these
forms. Both these artist wanted to provoke emotion and deep thought but also
wanted to give form to the feeling of frustration and what that looks like in
an abstract way. Also give form to the unknown, the unknown in this case being
hell.

No comments:
Post a Comment