Gabriela
Caceres
Art and
Society
4/19/14
Guggenheim Museum review
Once I
entered the Guggenheim Museum I was instantly impressed by the interior
of the building. Although I’ve visited the museum in my early childhood, I
don’t accurately remember how curvaceous and well – proportioned the building
was. The spiral structure was remarkable. From my perspective the structure
made my experience there more enjoyable. As I was wandering throughout the
museum, I felt like I was hiking up a hill considering the walkthrough ascends
and is relatively high. Moving upwards in the museum, I observed different
artworks and recognized a few artists that I’ve studied before such as Wassily
Kandinsky and Claude Monet. Moreover, I was exposed to the Italian futurism exhibition,
which was colorful and peculiar. Walking inside the Futuristic theatre, I paused
to look at the flooring because it had an extraordinary geometric pattern. Russian
artist Igor Stravinsky named the installation “Fireworks”. The shapes were formulated
by white lights and scattered throughout the floor while you enter the theatre.
Correspondingly,
The
Metropolitan Museum of Art was immense and it felt never-ending as well. But I
had a great experience considering that it was my first time and that’s what
made me interested.
Our
class trip to the Guggenheim was essentially to focus on American artist Carrie
Mae Weems exhibition. The exhibition mainly consisted of her photography, videos,
audio recordings and written texts. It was difficult to choose from because quite
a few of her artworks appealed to me. “Family pictures and Stories” was a
montage of Weems’s own large family and there was caption below each photo. This
montage was Weems’s first major body of work. The photos depicted her parents,
her older sister, her brother and herself. She described the relationship they
had with one another. Her older sister Alice took care of the entire family;
she cooked, cleaned the house and took care of everybody. The father and
brother had a tight relationship but they often would argue when they would
drink and the argument would escalate into a physical fight that would upset
her. This represents how African American families lived ages ago. One of
Weems’s series, “From
Here I Saw What Happened and I Cried” (1995-96) displays four red tinted images
of black slaves and a written text that flay racial and gender stereotypes on
top of the image. The written texts show the different duties of the slaves. They
were the field, yard, kitchen and house. The image of the
black woman transmits the housewife stereotype and the kitchen is the main
characteristic of a housewife ages ago. The men had different duties such as
being in the field and in the yard. This particular series depicts the harsh
lifestyle black slaves endured in the late 1980s. The “Ain’t Jokin” series
(1987-1988) also depicts the racial stereotypes of African Americans. The
“Blackman” holding the watermelon is a mainstream stereotype and the message of
the image is easy to perceive and is quite obvious. In addition, the message is
crystal clear and image
A brief film in the exhibition immediately appealed to me. It
was part of a series named: “Constructing history: A requiem to Mark the
Moment” (2008). Weems taught students from the Savannah College of Art and
Design. The video present staged re-enactments of important historical moments.
The assassinations of Ghandi, JFK, Martin Luther K. Jr and of millions of Jews
for their religious beliefs. Weems believes that Obama stood on the ashes and
the spirit of these individuals. Weems used appropriation in this particular
video when she created the re-enactments of the significant historical moments.
My impression of this exhibition was different and eye opening. I learned a
great deal about Carrie Mae Weems’s life and her style of photography. I
understood all the messages depicted in her images.
In my perception, Weems
used photography as her main medium because she’s trying to demonstrate a vivid
message to the viewer related to racial and gender stereotypes. In photography
she can be more conceptual and narrative. In photography she used informal
examples for instance, the black slaves and the “Blackman with the watermelon”.
It’s easy and comprehensible for Weems to expose all of the African American
stereotypes.


No comments:
Post a Comment