Blog posts are due every Tuesday by 11:59pm.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014




Carrie Mae Weems exhibit at the Guggenheim Museum was a moving work of art. Her images captured her or others in different scenarios. Carrie Mae Weems image “Slow Fade To Black” was one of the pieces that caught my eye. As I walked into the room the image called for ones eye. As I stared at it, the image began to trick my eye. I caught myself blinking a couple times to refocus my eyes on the image. As I stared at the image I heard two people saying the could no longer at it because it was hurting their eyes. I, on the other hand, was unable to walk away from the image because I found it so mesmerizing. I related to these pictures because whenever I aim my camera to take a photo I first have to focus my lens on what I am shooting or else my subject will come out blurry. Looking at this photo reminded me of the times when I accidentally shot my subject too early and that would result in me having a blurry photo, Carrie Mae Weems purpose was to make her subject blurry. She did this to show how famous black performers, specifically women, would fade into the background when new talent would come out. I believe she created these works to illustrate how women can be easily forgotten and almost as if they are blurred to the back of ones memory of who they use to be. 
Another one of her works that was interesting to me was her project, “The Louisiana Project”. She managed to capture herself in the essence of what Louisiana was once known as, one of the states that held most of the slaves and plantations. During this project Carrie Mae Weems dressed herself in an old long dress, a dress that held a lot of similarities between what women would wear during the slave period. She managed to capture herself away from the camera facing her object, almost as she were a ghost visiting the places that once cost her her sanity. One of the places in which she photographs herself in front of is an old plantation house. You can se her sitting down on the grass looking directly towards the house. It is almost as if she is too tired to even stand anymore. I find it interesting that the house in the photograph resembles the house in the Academy Award winning movie, 12 Years A Slave
While the structure of the Guggenheim was exquisite, I found the Metropolitan Museum far more interesting. The MET was definitely much bigger then the Guggenheim and it held more art work. The MET showed different types of artworks from different periods and from different parts of the world. While the Guggenheim did have artwork from different periods, I felt that they mostly only held modern art. And one thing I did not like about the Guggenheim is that you were not able to take pictures!!!! I understand the museum wants to project the artist and make sure their work does not get copied, but like you said professor, we live in a period where we use our phones for almost everything, a simple picture can’t hurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment