Blog posts are due every Tuesday by 11:59pm.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Museum Essay .. "The Bruised Muse"

The bruised muse would be my gift to the world and redefine the perception of how one goes about creating art. The mission is for the museum to act as a gallery as well as be the place of creativity by having artists come create and immortalize in any way they see fit. Installations, paintings, choreography, drugs, alcohol, fits of rage and the clarity of epiphany all in one focused environment for the benefit of artist and viewer.


 As opposed to having it above ground to be admired and fawned over, I’d put it underground in a space similar to Port Authority or any large subway line. In today’s psyche built of “out of sight out of mind”, to get to the bruised muse you’d have to truly be inspired by the art you create or be inspired by the art someone has created. So, in effect it should only attract the rawest and most passionate members of society. 


The only commonality my audience would have would be that of an extreme, almost palpable passion, be it for art or anything else. Usually passionate people gravitate to one another and latch on, my audience would be those that understand what it is to truly be engrossed by something and allowing it to have the whole of your being. I hope to bring together a group of people that had never had anyone understand them and create a community that embraces their intensity to the extent that it allows them to experience what it feels like to be light hearted. We will be one another’s bruised muses; bruised by the misconceptions of everyone, and the muses to those that do. 

Basquiat as well as the graffiti I see everyday on the walls and pavement interest me, but William Powhida's work has been somewhat of an inspiration in the way he puts his thumbs to the nose of the high and mighty art society, an exhibition of his work as well as having him create on the spot would be accessible at all times if I had the power to bring that to life. The rebellion in his art embodies the spirit that I'd hope to bring with my museum, I imagine it'd emanate across the galleries and inspire others the way it inspires me.


I believe, if anything The Bruised Muse would embody what it is to have a soul that never ceases to flame or even die down it's embers, nor does it temper the chilliness of your spirit if that is the quality it possesses. It embraces all extremes and irrationalities and completely does away with every dull quality of living. The end result, would be relief. I want my museum to save as well as inspire, and to comfort as well as break barriers. In short, the end result is freedom.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea- I think a LOT of artists would want to visit this museum- and you describe the potential audience well. also a good choice for location as it related to content.

    ReplyDelete