Blog posts are due every Tuesday by 11:59pm.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Art and Society
Blog Post 9/10
Daniel Ambia
6/9/2014



          As a child I drew on everything to the extent where my parents would buy industrial size paper rolls. I continued to draw right up until high school when I attended LaGuardia in Manhattan as an art major. Once I was finished with school I stopped. I spent my first few years of adulthood focusing on music during my free time but for the past nine years my job pretty much killed most of my enthusiasm for artistic things. During my spare time I would fall asleep watching HBO on Demand. Honestly taking this course has, at least for the moment, inspired me to consider maybe the possibility of drawing again. 
          After our first couple of lectures and learning about the elements and mediums of art, the terminology has been difficult to ignore when I look at a piece of work. When I think of an installation, 4D.  When I look at a painting or a sculpture I find myself thinking about the formal elements. I think in depth about what the artist went through to make the creation. My own perception of what art is has changed significantly. We saw some things I don't think I would've considered art in February, but after being slightly immersed in the culture I think my acceptance of some styles has increased particularly the more abstract. The course has also introduced me to a number of artists I had never heard of before. Honestly it was pretty cool when my more artistically inclined sister mentioned the exhibit at the Domino sugar factory and I could confidently say..."I know about that."

          This class was pretty great and, even to someone with no love of the arts, I'm sure they would have found it extremely interesting and informative. I loved going to the museums and getting the opportunity to visit the galleries I didn't even know existed. I loved that we did unguided tours, the focus was the aesthetic enjoyment of the art not a bundled history lesson. On the other hand I felt the in class readings and the lecture aspect really helped reinforce my comprehension of the subject and of the impact that art has on our society.
          If I could change anything about the class I think maybe it would be cool to split the class to two 2 hour periods a week wherein one period is a museum trip always. I know there are enough art museums in the 5 boroughs to make this possible for an entire semester. I also would have liked more creative assignments on par with the memorial. I don't think we should've sat in the museums with our sketchbooks mind you, but a couple more artistic assignments would be cool too.  I am glad I enrolled in the creativity cluster, the students have been great and it's nice to have been surrounded by motivated people. Also think it's cool to watch relevant YouTube videos in class (we did that in the other classes as well). Last time I was in college ten years ago I don't think YouTube existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment